We have all been there. A single moment in a day, that can transform our moods to shit. A conversation that didn’t go as planned, a misunderstanding, needs not met, day not going as planned, kids being crazy or maybe even a fight with the significant other. Whatever that moment may have been, now has you overthinking, and overplaying in your mind the should’ve, would’ve could’ves.
Discontention and unhappiness happens when we are not living in the moment. We become anxious, because we think we have to find the solution. We have to figure everything out right that moment, rather than live in the present and see what life brings. When we get on the record of thinking about that moment over and over, we lose our ability to stay in the moment.
I am guilty of overthinking things. Let me tell you, overthinking can seriously ruin a good mood and the chance at a good day. I am still learning to train my brain to stay in the moment. I believe it’s a habit that takes a lot of retraining and I hope that one day, it just becomes second nature to live in the moment without second thought. I’ll get back to you on that one. Anxiety comes when I begin to worry about the future, and overthinking and stress comes from the past. Calm comes by living in the right now.
Next time you find yourself struggling with some emotions that are taking your day downhill fast, try a tip or two. and see if you can’t turn it around.
- Journal your feelings with no censoring. Write down exactly what you are feeling. When I am really upset with someone, I find it helps to journal as though I am writing a letter to that person.
- Watch a movie.
- Read a book.
- Go for a run. Not a fast walk, but a run. The kind like when you were a kid and ran as fast as you could just to feel the wind in your hair. Do that. Run fast and run hard. Do it while thinking about what is affecting your mood. Go as far as you can. Hopefully by the time you are done with your run, you have burned off the negitive energy. This is my favorite. When I am dealing with really tough stuff, I run…. a lot.
- Take a hot bath.
- Clean the house.
- Write down a list of things that you are grateful for.
- Listen to happy music on pandora.
- Do something to pamper yourself. Get your hair or nails done.
- Unfollow negitive people on social media.
- Do some yoga.
- Dance it out. Blare some music and dance it out.
- Play a game or two.
- Take a nap.
- Go for coffee or dinner with a friend, but don’t discuss the issue at hand that is bothering you.
- Scream into a pillow. This is completely underated.
- Punch a memory foam pillow. If you are that angry and need to hit something, memory foam pillows are the bomb. Some people have an incredible talent of leading me to this option.
- Expiriment with drawing some zentangles.
- Declutter. Throwing things away is very theraputic.
- Pin happy things until you feel happy and encouraged.
- Make a goal board.
- Make a bucket list of all the things you want to do.
- Think of somewhere you want to go, and waste time planning a vacation even if you really are not going on it. It’s fun to look and research. Maybe someday you will go there. If youre rich, plan a real vacation.
The years are short. Life isn’t always easy. People aren’t always easy. In fact, sometimes people completely suck, but none of that changes the fact that life is short. Do you really want to waste your life feeling anything but happy? Find something happy in every day to keep you going.